What is Gboard and what should I do if it stops?

Steve Hayes

Dec 21, 2019, 3:57:10 AM12/21/19
I've suddenly started getting messages on my phone telling me that
Gboard has stopped.

What is Gboard, and what should I do if it stops?

--
Steve Hayes
http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm

Arlen Holder

Dec 21, 2019, 4:14:07 AM12/21/19
On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 11:01:10 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:

> I've suddenly started getting messages on my phone telling me that
> Gboard has stopped.
>
> What is Gboard, and what should I do if it stops?

Seems to be a "virtual keyboard" app... (whatever that means).

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gboard>
"Gboard is a virtual keyboard app developed by Google for
Android and iOS devices."

"Gboard features Google Search, including web results and predictive
answers, easy searching and sharing of GIF and emoji content, a predictive
typing engine suggesting the next word depending on context, and
multilingual language support."

If you don't use it, seems to me, unless you can't delete it, you can just
delete it (if Android will let you) and you won't lose anything useful.

Maybe someone who uses Gboard can tell us what they use it for.

SC Tom

Dec 21, 2019, 7:06:45 AM12/21/19

"Steve Hayes" <haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote in message
> I've suddenly started getting messages on my phone telling me that
> Gboard has stopped.
>
> What is Gboard, and what should I do if it stops?

It's your keyboard. If you have another installed and set as default (I use
ai.type Keyboard Plus), then you can disable it under Settings > Apps.
--

SC Tom

Piet

Dec 21, 2019, 8:01:59 AM12/21/19
Steve Hayes wrote:
> I've suddenly started getting messages on my phone telling me that
> Gboard has stopped.
>
> What is Gboard, and what should I do if it stops?

startpage.com is your search friend.
https://www.livemint.com/technology/tech-news/this-google-s-gboard-bug-may-lock-you-out-of-your-android-phone-know-everything-11576735290172.html

-p

VanguardLH

Dec 21, 2019, 11:07:07 AM12/21/19
Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

> I've suddenly started getting messages on my phone telling me that
> Gboard has stopped.
>
> What is Gboard, and what should I do if it stops?

Newer Google Keyboard often bundled in Android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin&hl=en_US

More than one keyboard app may be bundled in Android. Another choice is
SwiftKey (heard of it, never used it):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey

Arlen Holder

Dec 21, 2019, 11:46:57 AM12/21/19
On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 09:14:07 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> Seems to be a "virtual keyboard" app... (whatever that means).

*Here is a better description of Gboard from Android Authority...*
"Gboard is Google's official stock keyboard. It comes with a lot of the
basic features such as auto-correction, multi-lingual typing, and various
customization features. Its claim to fame, though, is that Google Search is
built-in. That means you can conduct searches without leaving the keyboard
space. There is also a GIF search, voice typing, and Google Translate.
Google adds features to this keyboard on a fairly frequent basis. Thus, it
isn't quite the minimal, simple keyboard it used to be. However, it's still
decent."
<https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-keyboards-198452/>

*Here's another description of Gboard..."
o <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin>

"For years, much appreciated Google Keyboard. Essentially the Android
stock keyboard available on Google Play for other devices.

However, over the years, Google has improved it in what is potentially the
best keyboard for Android.

Gboard was introduced for the first time after Apple began licensing
third-party keyboards.

Then finally Google released for Android and replaced their original
version.

It has everything you need a touch keyboard. It's totally free, with tons
of customization, themes, and most importantly, the built-in Google wizard.

As you saw in the video above, there is a small "G" logo above the
keyboard.

This allows users to get directions, share directions to a restaurant, do
Google searches, or send a GIF all over the web.

Just inside the keyboard without leaving the application you already are.

It is incredibly useful once you remember that the option exists.

Between modest theme options, gesture controls (swipe to text) and word
prediction, this is the most feature-packed android keyboard."

<https://blogtechland.com/best-keyboards-android/>

*And here's another description...*
"When we think of the best keyboard apps for Android, Gboard is the first
name that flashes. Gboard is one of the most popular Android keyboard apps
on Android if not the most popular. Ever since Google introduced its
keyboard in the Play Store, simplicity and accuracy have been its defining
features. Since it was renamed from Google Keyboard to Gboard, it has
gained several features most prominent of which is the inclusion of Google
search itself into the keyboard.
Introducing Google search to a stock app is how Google made its launcher
popular. But I hardly use the keyboard's built-in search. The clean
aesthetics and accurate typing experience are what make it a popular
choice. It includes all the basic features such as auto-correction,
multi-lingual typing, swipe typing, cross-device syncing, number row and
various customization features. There is also a GIF search, voice typing,
and Google Translate. Here are some use Gboard tips and tricks you should
check out."
<https://www.droidviews.com/5-best-keyboards-android/>

*Here is another review...*
"Gboard has everything you love about the Google Keyboard app – speed and
reliability, gesture typing, voice typing, etc. In fact, it's one of the
fastest keyboard Android apps on the Google Play Store. You'll find it
pre-loaded on the Pixel series and many Android One devices.

The newer update includes a fully integrated Google search engine, suggests
GIFs and emojis as you type. It also allows you to send stickers. You can
also make your own sticker if you like. People who use lots of Google
services will get real benefit from its text prediction.

Gboard features a minimalist design that fits in perfectly with the
material design. Its additional functionality includes options for the dark
theme, adding a personal image as the keyboard background, voice dictation,
phrase prediction, and hand-drawn emoji recognition.

Also, it is extremely good with multilingual typing and supports over 100
different languages. In my opinion, Gboard is one of the best keyboard apps
for Android in 2019."
<https://fossbytes.com/best-android-keyboard-apps/>

Arlen Holder

Dec 21, 2019, 12:00:19 PM12/21/19
On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 10:07:05 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

> More than one keyboard app may be bundled in Android. Another choice is
> SwiftKey (heard of it, never used it):
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey

Always to improve our combined knowledge, I just searched for the most
commonly suggested keyboards, coming up with these, in this order:
o (6) Fleksy
o (6) Gboard
o (6) Swiftkey
... ... ...
o (4) Chrooma
o (2) Grammarly
o (2) Minuum
o (2) MultiLing
o (2) Swype
o (2) TouchPal
o (1) AI Type Keyboard
o (1) Facemoji Emoji Keyboard
o (1) FancyFey
o (1) Ginger
o (1) Go Keyboard
o (1) Google Handwriting Input
o (1) Hacker's Keyboard
o (1) Kika
o (1) Simple Keyboard
o (1) Slash Keyboard
o (1) Smart Keyboard Pro
o (1) Typany Keyboard

Hence, before I test out SwiftKey, I posted this query asking for advice:
o If not the default, what free Android keyboard are you using & why do you like it
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/CmZAI0OsXDs>

--
Usenet allows us all to improve our knowledge by asking for useful advice.

Arlen Holder

Dec 22, 2019, 2:14:24 PM12/22/19
On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 07:06:44 -0500, SC Tom wrote:

> It's your keyboard. If you have another installed and set as default (I use
> ai.type Keyboard Plus), then you can disable it under Settings > Apps.

Hi SC Tom,
Thanks for that suggestion of the ai.type keyboard for the OP to test out.

To better help others, we just discussed the ai.type keyboard over here:
o If not the default, what free Android keyboard are you using & why do you like it?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/CmZAI0OsXDs/QUJL-eSBBgAJ>

Where I'm currently testing the following non-Google keyboards kindly
suggested by helpful folks around the world on the Android potluck:
<https://i.postimg.cc/SRgBqr3g/keyboard01.jpg>

--
Usenet allows purposefully helpful people from around the world to interact

Steve Hayes

Dec 22, 2019, 8:47:50 PM12/22/19
Thanks.